- Sr User Experience Designer at Driveway Corporation
- Irvine, California, United States
- Information Technology and Services
- Sr UX Designer at Driveway
- UX Designer at Sigma Infosolutions
California State University, Fullerton, User Experience and Customer-Centered Design Certification, UX and UCD
Sr UX Designer
August 2017 – May 2019(1 year 9 months)Aliso Viejo, CA
• Work closely with customers and stakeholders to design new features from the ground up. • Advocate evidence-based design through the Lean approach of hypothesize, build, test, learn. • Collaborate with product management, R&D and IT to define and implement innovative solutions for the product direction, visuals and user experience. • Execute all visual design stages from concept to final hand-off to engineering. • Conceptualize original ideas that bring simplicity and user friendliness to complex design roadblocks. • Create wireframes, storyboards, user flows, process flows and site maps to effectively communicate interaction and design ideas. • Pitch and present designs to stakeholders for sign-off. Driveway is a software patented artificial intelligence (AI) technology focused on mobility and helping ordinary drivers become safer drivers. Our team is on a mission to make roads safer by making software that makes safe drivers is our superpower. We’re data scientists, insurance experts, designers, and coders; all working on a cure for the car accident epidemic.
July 2015 – April 2017(1 year 9 months)Irvine, CA
• Worked closely with a multi-disciplinary team to create intuitive websites and streamlined interfaces for mobile applications that redefined the lending marketplace while focusing on a good user experience. • Present UI/UX Design ideas that improve the overall user experience, engagement and acquisition. • Maintained a strong knowledge of concepts, design patterns and performance optimizations. • Designed navigation, user flows, screens and controls. Create interactive prototypes and conduct usability testing to identify design patterns and produce style guides. Sigma provides a range of execution-oriented services to companies in a variety of industries by delivering expert customizations tailored to each client’s business needs. We create custom solutions in the areas of Application Development & Maintenance, eCommerce Portal Development, Business Intelligence & Reporting, ERP, CRM and Mobile Engineering.
Creative Director / Web Design Solutions
March 2010 – June 2015(5 years 3 months)Los Angeles, CA.
• Designed and developed innovative solutions for a wide variety of web and mobile design projects; from layout concept, user interface and graphic design to front-end development.
April 2013 – November 2014(1 year 7 months)Orange County, California Area
• Created sketches, wireframes, low/high-fidelity mockups, prototypes, and final designs. • Designed adaptive, responsive, and mobile websites for Yamaha Music Interactive. • Innovated existing Yamaha Music Interactive website and their applications with new layouts, graphics, and content. • Produced design specifications and style guides including layouts, color palettes, typography, buttons, icons, and other user interface elements. Yamaha Music Interactive is Yamaha’s primary provider of direct-to-customer music services providing “Everything you need to make music on your instrument”. These services include the www.YamahaMusicSoft.com e-commerce site, along with multiple mobile apps for markets around the globe.
Freedom Communications Inc.
June 2011 – September 2012(1 year 3 months)Santa Ana, CA
Sr Web Designer
Live Universe, Inc
January 2007 – February 2010(3 years 1 month)El Segundo, CA
• Worked closely with LiveUniverse CEO Brad Greenspan, founder of MySpace. • Designed popular websites across three core verticals: video, social networking and music. • Worked on web identity and user experience and supervised production staff. • Designed websites/pages according to pre-established client specs and managed quality control, updates and oversaw projects for consistent overall look and feel. • Oversaw Design process for each project: from concept, Design, HTML/CSS, beta testing, and scheduling to final launch.
Web Graphic Designer
San Diego Museum of Man
January 2004 – January 2007(3 years)
• Developed and designed marketing and fundraising materials. • Responsible for creating a unified look of graphics for all museum exhibitions. • Responsible for developing concepts, banners and layouts for website.
United States Navy
May 1996 – February 2003(6 years 9 months)Yokosuka, Japan
California State University, Fullerton
User Experience and Customer-Centered Design Certification, UX and UCD
2017 – 2019
– UX and UX Research. – Analysis and Planning for User-Centered Design. – User-Centered Design for Web and Mobile Interfaces. – Prototyping User-Centered Design Solutions. – Concepts and Practices in Usability Testing. -Selling Customer Experience and User-Centered Design to Management.
The Art Institute of California – Los Angeles
Bachelor of Science – BS, Multimedia and Web Design
2002 – 2005
Graduated with Highest Honors and frequently listed on the AI President’s Honor Roll.
Activities and Societies
Photography and Design Club.
Glendale Community College
American Sign Language
Skills & Expertise
- Graphic Design
- Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)
- Information Architecture
- Mobile Design
- Creative Direction
- Art Direction
- Adobe Illustrator
- Logo Design
- User Research
- Microsoft Office
- After Effects
- HTML + CSS
- User-centered Design
- Interaction Design
- User Experience Design (UED)
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Social Media
- Microsoft Word
- Adobe Muse
- User Interface Design
- Web Design
Socal UX Group
January 2012 – Present
Volunteer Experience & Causes
Team to End Aids Participant
AIDS Project Los Angeles
October 2012 – Present(7 years)
Along a fantastic group of people from all sorts of backgrounds I will be training and fundraising this year (for the 4th time) for the LA Marathon in order to run 26.2 miles through Los Angeles on March 2017! I’ll be training at least three days per week because I want to do something that’s not only physically and mentally challenging for me, but also beneficial to APLA’s clients.
Causes Fernando cares about:
- Arts and Culture
- Human Rights
- Science and Technology
- Social Services